Today I am sharing with you my thoughts on the new Makeup Geek highlighters that launched not long ago! I bought several to test out and I have to say I’m absolutely in love with them!
Makeup Geek launched 13 highlights that range to suit all different skin tones, which I think is amazing. You can purchase each for $20 USD or buy a bundle of three based on skin tones for $48 USD which is a better deal in the end if all three of the colours appeal to you.I purchased the porcelain, fair, and medium compacts!
One thing to importantly note is the overlay – as you can see, the pan pictured above looks completely different from left to right. The right side of the image is how the highlight comes – once you swatch the entire pan once, the left side of the image is what you will see! Once you’ve swatched it once though, the pigmentation and colour is consistent! Its just the initial overlay that looks meh. Once first receiving it, I wasn’t too impressed by looking at the pan (the right side doesn’t look that appealing…does it?) but once all of the pan looked like it does on the left the highlights blew me away! Marlena did also mention this in her YouTube video when launching these and her word is very true!
Pictured above is the porcelain bundle, which includes Glitz, Celestial and Moon Phase.
- Glitz: Glitz is a really light pink that gives off an icy effect. I find this works well for my light complexion! I was a bit nervous trying the porcelain bundle as I thought it would be too light, but it actually looks really nice! This is definitely a favourite and I think a lot of people would like it.
- Celestial: Celestial has more of a purple undertone to it and definitely has a duochrome effect too! I can see it looking really nice on porcelain skin tones, but it works for light skin tones as well! It looks a bit like Soft Frost from the new MAC Cosmetics extra dimension highlights!
- Moon Phase: Looking at the pan, this looks like it will be a pale yellowish/blue shade but it is actually more translucent with blue and purple! I’ve used this a few times and it works for my light skin but it may work best for those with porcelain skin. Out of all of them, I think this is my least favourite only because it didn’t “wow” me like the others did!
Pictured above is the fair bundle, which includes Luster, Midnight Sun, and Lit from left to right.
- Luster: A rose/pink shade that is absolutely STUNNING! It looks dark in the picture, but it is absolutely perfect for those with light skin! I think it would be too dark for porcelain skin tones but for light, medium, and even deep skin tones I think it would look gorgeous.
- Midnight Sun: This shade is a gold/champagne highlight that is honestly really pretty! I usually don’t love champagne highlights just because they don’t appeal to me. This one is absolutely gorgeous, but I don’t think I would use it all the time only because as I mentioned, it just isn’t one I gravitate to.
- Lit: This shade really suits light skin tones as it is a translucent colour that has a pink duo-chrome to it. This colour could also suit porcelain skin tones as well! This shade is really stunning and kind of reminds me of the new MAC Extra Dimension highlights that recently came out!
Pictured above is the medium bundle which features Daybreak, Psychedelic and Rekindle.
- Daybreak: This looks so dark and almost like a blush topper but it actually is a lot lighter than it looks pictured. It is a soft peach shade that is so luminous! I have light skin, and although this is for medium skin tones, it really works well for me! This shade is really unique so I definitely recommend this one.
- Psychedelic: Similar to Lit, but this shade has more of a peach base rather than translucent. I don’t think you really need both in my opinion, but both are really nice!
- Rekindle: This shade looks super dark on camera but swatched it is actually really nice. I haven’t actually used this on my cheekbones, but it seems that it may just work for me – it may be a bit better during the summer months!
From top to bottom:
- Moon Phase
- Midnight Sun
So my favourite shades would be Glitz, Psychedelic, Daybreak, Luster and Lit! I would definitely recommend trying some of these out – I love how there’s shades suitable for all skin tones that can be bought in a bundle or you can eff the rules and buy em individually!
Are there any on your list to try out?!
I’m super excited for the new lippies to launch! 🙂